Winter – that cold time of the year when even the flowers are not ready to bloom. Though many may love the frigid weather, it not your skin’s best friend. Winter is when your skin gets damaged the most, yes even more than in summer. This is why skin care in winter is very important.
Just slathering on moisturizer or staying indoors will not suffice. There are different methods, remedies and routine one has to follow for proper skin care in winter. Here are some easy to follow tips to help you preserve your skin’s health in the cold weather.
- No To Hot Shower – Yes the weather is cold, and a hot shower is a welcoming thought. But this hot shower can do more harm than help, as the hot water will strip off the essential oils from your skin. Stick to warm water and your skin will thank you.
- Yes To Sunscreen – Yes the sun is not out in all its glory, you don’t feel the rays on your skin. But that doesn’t mean you can skip the sunscreen. As long the sun is up, the UV rays are touching your skin. Protect your skin from sun damage by using a good sunscreen that can block both UVA and UVB rays.
- Scrub – Exfoliation is an essential part of skin care in winter. Use a mild scrub to get rid of the dry and dead skin. Rub the scrub gently in circular motion, apart from getting rid of dry skin, you will improve circulation too.
- Hydrate From Within – You are not sweating and it is not hot. It is easy to forget drinking water. However, ensure you keep sipping on a glass of water from time to time, to hydrate your skin from within. When your skin is well nourished, it shows.
- Moisturize – Moisturizer is an important part of sin care for winter. Slather it on immediately after your shower and lock in all the moisture. If your skin is too dry or if the weather is too cold, apply another round of moisturizer, later in the day.
- Soft Lips – Winter does not affect just the skin on your hands and feet. It affects your lips too. You don’t want to be seen with dry cracked lips. Gently exfoliate with a toothbrush in the morning and get rid of the dead cells. Licking your lips will also dry them up faster.
- Eat Right – What you eat is what reflects on your skin. Eat a well balanced meal and load up on omega 3’s. Avoid aerated drinks as they tend to dry up your skin.
- Care For Your Feet – Winter is when we get to wear nice boots and other shoes that cover our feet completely. However, don’t forget to moisturize them. Just because they are covered, does not protect them from the harshness of winter.
Never underestimate the importance of skin care in winter. You may think it is just dry skin and a little extra moisturizer the next time can take care of it. In reality, you skin gets stripped of its natural moisture and essential oils from deep within and it can take a while to repair this damage.